In the coming weeks you’ll be receiving information on the “Career and Internship Connections,” which are job and interview fairs held around the country over winter break. What many students don’t realize is that these events are run completely by the staff of the Gwen M. Greene Career and Internship Center, and were created 13 years ago specifically for UR students. While there are 16 other colleges and universities that participate in the events, UR students every year submit the most applications, receive the most interview offers, and fill the most interview slots.
The Career and Internship Connections include employers and postings for both full-time positions as well as volunteer and internship opportunities! (List of employers by major/career field.)
Career and Internship Connections take place in Boston (January 7th), Los Angeles (January 8th), New York City (January 9th) and Washington DC (January 11th). There is a morning career fair style “Open Forum,” and then scheduled interviews in the afternoon. You can be selected for interviews by applying to specific employers and positions by the December 3rd deadline, or by speaking with the employer at the morning open forum (if they still have any slots left). Go here for a listing of participating employers catergorized by majors and career fields.
Some commonly asked questions about the CICs:
- Why should I go? Many companies have scaled back travel and on-campus efforts, and capitalize on events like this to meet candidates. You will meet face-to-face with an actual recruiter at the event, which is much friendlier than an online application black hole.
- How do I get there? Travel arrangements and expenses are up to the student, but the events are scheduled during break to give you time to travel if necessary, or attend an event close to home.
- What industries/companies are represented? Students from all majors can register. The CICs bring companies from fields including:
- Communications & publishing
- Marketing & PR
- Law, government and international NGOs
- Banking, financial services and insurance
- Business and consulting
- Education & nonprofit
- Environment and Sustainability
- Media & entertainment
- Health & human services
Register here with password CIC2013.
by Career and Internship Center Associate Director Amber Graham