Friday, November 9, 2012

UR Alumna Cat Iribarne on-campus to discuss opportunities with U.S. PIRG



As a graduating senior, you are no doubt trying to decide what you will do next year, or even for the next 5 years. Consider a job with USPIRG. www.uspirg.org/jobs

I chose to study political science at Rochester because I grew up hearing my parents’ stories about growing up through the military coup and dictatorship in Chile, and I was raised to be acutely aware of the social and political problems in the world around me. When I was getting ready to graduate, I thought I would go right to grad school, so that I could become a professor and eventually inspire students to care about and work to solve these problems. When I discovered U.S. PIRG and how they tackle our country’s biggest problems by mobilizing millions of people across the country, I was excited to realize that I could make an impact and help engage others with important issues right away. I got started as a campus organizer for New Jersey PIRG and already I’ve recruited and trained over 60 volunteers and interns to work on campaigns to get corporate money out of politics, fight local poverty, promote energy efficiency, and register 1500 students in Newark to vote.

If you’re like me, you look around and see too many problems in our country to sit back and do nothing. With U.S. PIRG, you can actually get paid to take on and solve the problems our country faces; from advocating for policies that will protect consumers from big bank and credit card rip-offs, to educating citizens and students about energy efficiency, and increasing participation in democracy.  

U.S. PIRG is a federation of state-based public interest advocacy groups. And working together we have a much greater opportunity to make a difference. We have a 40-year track record of organizing on these issues, and, we’re hiring graduating seniors to jump right in and make a critical impact as a campus organizer or in our fellowship program.

Learn more about both of these positions at www.uspirg.org/jobs.

We will be holding an information session in the Stackel Room at 6pm on Monday, November 12, and interviews on campus on Tuesday, November 13, at the Career Center.  I encourage you to find out more and apply!

For more information check out our website, or send me an email at cat@njpirgstudents.org

Sincerely,

Cat Iribarne
Campus Organizer
NJPIRG Students, Rutgers-Newark
(315) 345-0505, cat@njpirgstudents.org

No comments:

Post a Comment