Thursday, May 30, 2013

Morgan Preziosi, '13, Biochemistry, Accepted into Top Choice PhD Program

At the end of June I will be a PhD student at the University of Pittsburgh's Interdisciplinary Biomedical Graduate Program. The program is through their medical school, and is an umbrella program. This means the first year is undifferentiated and I will be studying all different biological sciences, then after the first year I can pick one of six programs to go into, all related to biomedical sciences. I'm not sure which program I'll go into yet, but I do know that I will be doing cancer research.

I knew I wanted a PhD back in high school, so I have spent four summers in labs, and four semesters as well. This definitely helped me with respects to lab techniques, critical thinking, and to be a competitive applicant.

Although unrelated to biology, working as a Peer Career Adviser for five semesters has taught me invaluable techniques and tips for how to create excellent resumes, cover letters, personal statements, networking notes, and everything else, and I definitely could not have gotten into PhD programs without that knowledge. As for advice, I have three pieces to share:

First, grades are not everything. Those students who maintain amazingly high GPAs but who don't have time for anything else will not be competitive, so make sure you're well-rounded yet focusing yourself on your long-term goals.

Second, go to the Career Center! They have great advice for whatever stage you're at, and will make a flawless resume.

Finally, it's okay to not know what you want to do. I was lucky to know at a young age, but it's not awful if you do not know. College is a time to try everything out, so take advantage. Also, the Career Center has great resources to show you what jobs are out there, and what you can do with your major.


Read more 2013 Senior Success stories here.

No comments:

Post a Comment