Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Senior Success 2013: Jason Silverstein heads to Columbia University to further his journalism career



Jason Silverstein, a double major in English and Anthropology, has been accepted into the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism where he will begin a Master of Science program this fall.  

Silverstein served as editor-in-chief of the Campus Times in 2011, and completed an internship at City Newspaper this semester. After graduation he hopes to pursue in arts journalism or feature writing.

"This summer, I will be working as a full-time features reporter at The Buffalo News, a position I also held last summer. In August, I'll be moving down to New York for a 10-month master's program at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. Columbia was the only graduate school that I applied to, for noble reasons (it's arguably the best journalism program in the country) and not-so-noble reasons (it doesn't require the GRE, which I wanted to avoid forever). Amber Graham at the Career Center met with me several times to help with my application, and her patience and support were an essential part of my grad school process.

My advice for upcoming seniors is recognize that nothing at this time in our lives is as final as it feels. Talk to most any adult you admire, and chances are they barely remember what they were doing at age 22. In the long run, the true success stories probably aren't the ones that appear in the Weekly Buzz. Too many seniors lose any sense of modesty about their accomplishments, and it's easy to get caught up in the "success stories" that get paraded around all year. Always keep in mind that, for most students, the greatest successes have yet to come."

No comments:

Post a Comment