Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gregory Fox, Political Science Grad, Lands Full-Time Staff Writer Position

Gregory Fox graduated cum laude with a BA in Political Science. As an undergraduate Fox held internships with the political grassroots organization No Labels, which is dedicated to ending partisan gridlock in Congress. 

He then interned at the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle,  publishing profiles of small businesses and innovative Rochestarians. He also volunteered as a news reporter for the Campus Times.



“About a week before graduation, I successfully landed a job as a full-time staff writer at my hometown's newspaper, The Dunkirk Observer. The position had opened up in February, and I applied as soon as I had heard about it.

Internships helped me out immensely in landing my new job in the field I have always wanted to work in, even before I started college.

If you truly want to live your dream, not only do you need to work hard in school, but you need to get real-world experience. Get your foot in the door whenever possible, network with people to build up powerful references, and take advantage of any opportunity that is given to you, like I did when I decided to intern in DC for an entire semester.

I'm from a very small town of less than 3,000 people, so I was apprehensive about going there at first. However, I realized this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so I overcame my fear and decided to go for the program there.

Having a good online presence also helped. I maintained a professional LinkedIn account and resume and created a professional Twitter account displaying my love for journalism. Having a good family support system helped boost myself up, as well, whenever I had doubts or second guesses. I am now working in my dream field and doing what I love as a full-fledged job now. I couldn't be happier."


Twitter: @GFoxNews


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic info. Many thanks regarding delivering you a really useful info. Sustain the good work and keep on delivering you a lot more high quality info every once in awhile.Careers in Political Science

    ReplyDelete