Thursday, June 20, 2013

Naomi Ahsan, Public Interest/Public Service Scholar at American University's Washington College of Law

Naomi Ahsan graduated in May of 2012 with her bachelor's degree in Neuroscience and spent the past year working as a Research and Program Associate at the Center for Community Change. She is excited to begin American University’s Washington College of Law as a Public Interest/Public Service Scholar. Below she describes the steps she believes led to her success in the law school admissions process & offers tips to her peers.

I had a very high-quality experience at UR through my participation in undergraduate research and student activities. I was very inspired by research with Dr. Diane Morse of URMC Dept. of Psychiatry as she prepared to help open a transition clinic for formerly incarcerated women.

My Take Five Scholarship, with advisor Ted Brown, cultivated my ability to plan and execute on academic interests independently.


I  had great help from Kellie Hernandez at the Career and Internship Center...particularly as my background for law felt "non-traditional."

I would advise my peers to be willing to explore interests and think broadly about how they connect to long-term goals, and be creative about connecting the dots between diverse interests—don’t assume it’s not possible. Think about what made you successful at UR and consider how it can shape your post-UR life. Take advantage of the resources that UR offers through the Career Center! Don’t miss opportunities to lead.



No comments:

Post a Comment