Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Jake Miller, '13, Youth Outreach Coordinator at UPMC/Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Division of Adolescent Medicine

I have accepted a position with the Pittsburgh Health Corps, an AmeriCorps program that focuses on helping the underserved in your city deal with and overcome barriers of access to care. I will be working at UPMC/Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Division of Adolescent Medicine as the Youth Outreach Coordinator. 

My two main roles are to ensure that youth who are in housing crisis, or homeless, have a place to go to get healthcare as well as make their care easily accessible, and to work with Children's Hospital and a group of young advocates to educate providers and equip everyone involved to seamlessly transition the young adult's medical treatment from pediatrics to adult care. 

Before that starts, I'm working on public health research on domestic violence and reproductive/sexual coercion and volunteering at Salud Para NiƱos, the only bilingual pediatric clinic in the city!


Steps to success: Be persistent, know what you want to get out of your experiences, and be flexible. The loss of CDC funding caused my job to be no longer available, and after realizing my own goals and what the AmeriCorps program offers, I understood there was no better way to spend my year after college than by doing service work in something that I am truly passionate about- public health. 

Don't hesitate to use the Career Center to help with personal statements, resumes, and honing in your interview skills! Thanks to Kellie Hernandez, who helped me through the application process.

No comments:

Post a Comment