Monday, July 15, 2013

Joe Bailey, '15, Chem, Recommends Applying Early for Reach Funding


I've successfully secured a position as an undergraduate researcher in the Neidig lab this summer, here in the University of Rochester's REU program in chemistry. This research experience for undergraduates has opened many doors for me, to work in academic and industrial laboratory settings in the future. 


I've really got my foot in the door here in the chemistry department, and will stick around in the same lab for my senior research. A hint for any aspiring chemists or other scientists: Here at Rochester, the REACH program allows an enterprising young student to "double dip" on funding, by accepting the free housing option, and doing an unpaid REU, then applying ASAP for the supplemental funding from the career center. This way, as long as you can find a home in a lab on campus, you'll be able to live comfortably for the summer. Most students are unaware of the way the program operates, and can't work the system to their advantage. 
I cannot stress this enough: REACH funds are available on a first come, first served basis, so apply early!

No comments:

Post a Comment