Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Stephanie Swartz, Accepted into PhD Program in Electrical Engineering/Optics at University of Colorado at Boulder

Stephanie Swartz graduated with a B.S. in physics and minors in optics and math, and she is excited to begin the PhD program in electrical engineering/optics at the University of Colorado at Boulder.  

As an undergraduate, I completed three Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU's), which are ~10 week paid research internships sponsored by the National Science Foundation. Additionally, I did research on campus since I was a sophomore and this evolved into my senior thesis project.

I have two pieces of advice:

1.   Start early and don't be afraid to apply -- Rochester makes it easy to begin research as a freshman and there are REU programs or internships that allow freshman applicants. Look up internships during winter break and apply to as many as you can; the worst that can happen is you will be rejected.

2.   Have a professional looking resume or CV -- The Career Center was enormously helpful during the application process for internships and graduate school. As a freshman, after only one meeting and a short email exchange, I left the Career Center with an accurate and polished resume. They also helped me reformat my resume into a CV for graduate school and read over my personal statements.

  Read more 2013 Senior Success stories here.   

No comments:

Post a Comment