Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Conor McNarmara, chemical engineering major, Group Manager at Anheuser-Busch




Conor will be working for Anheuser-Busch as a Group Manager at their brewery in Merrimack, New Hampshire. His duties will include managing employees and the overall processes within either the brewing, packaging, or logistics department. Other responsibilities include troubleshooting problems throughout the process, looking at ways to increase efficiency, decrease waste, and becoming a certified beer taster to ensure quality products.




The Process: Career Center, CareerShift, Career

Over the past few years, I have worked with Laura Godwin in the Career Center. She taught me how to tailor my resume for different positions and to look beyond the typical job postings for available positions.

As I looked for internships in the past, Laura showed me the different ways to use CareerShift to not only look for positions, but contact information for people within companies I may want to work for/with. While searching for a job, I mainly used CareerShift to find contact information and network with employees to get a sense of how applicants can break into different industries.

My past experiences involved mostly energy engineering work, and I have a strong interest in sustainability. Originally, I was focused on energy and engineering consulting firms, but after talking with a few people, they suggested that my skills and interests might be suitable for a position in the food and beverage industry that focuses on energy efficiency and sustainability.

A search on CareerShift for engineers in the brewing industry led me to approach Anheuser-Busch. Fortunately, my contact was willing to give me advice and connected me with the right people at the plant. After sending the brewery my resume and passing a series of online exams, I was invited to begin the interview process. After 3 phone interviews, an in-person role-playing assessment, and an onsite interview, I was offered the job. The entire process took about 4 months.

Some Advice: Network!

My biggest piece of advice for anyone looking for a job or internship is to network with as many people as possible and don't be afraid to reach out to anyone whether it be in person, email or over the phone. I have found people are very willing to help college students. Usually they will leave you with a lot of advice and ideas, but if you are lucky, it might lead towards a job or internship. And get creative with your job search. Don't feel restricted by your degree or past experiences; think of industries and companies that might be of interest to you and find out how your skills and experiences can fit the positions they have available.

No comments:

Post a Comment