Monday, August 4, 2014

Kriti Thapa, MPH, starting medical school at University of Rochester School of Medicine this fall

I graduated in May 2013 with a BA in Biology and a minor in Epidemiology. As I am a Rochester Early Medical Scholar (UofR's combined 8 year BA/BS-MD program) and finished my undergraduate studies a year early (3 years instead of 4), I completed a Masters of Public Health (MPH) in Epidemiology/Biostatistics in New York City from 2013-2014. While pursuing my MPH, I worked as a Research Associate on the New York City Health an Nutrition Examination (collaborative project between NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the CUNY School of Public Health) and on the Hilton-Westat Foster Youth Initiative. After graduating form my MPH program, I spent the past summer as a Postgraduate Fellow at the Yale School of Medicine.

I will be starting medical school at the University of Rochester School of Medicine this August! 

Two pieces of advice I can give:


First, do not to be afraid to ask for help from anyone from peers to professors. Noone expects us to know everything--after all, we're all students! With this regard, there are many invaluable resources on campus from our Departmental Offices to the Career Center that will help us attain our goals.


Second, explore fearlessly! The UR curriculum was phenomenal and encouraged me to take courses that I hadn't considered before. In fact, it's flexibility, along with research opportunities with faculty, helped me discover my passion for public health and fueled my love for medicine further!

 Find more UR Student Success stories here.

No comments:

Post a Comment