Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Ling Rao '15 Now Assisting Scientists with Impaired Urban Stream Restoration in Portland, Maine


"This past spring, I graduated from the University of Rochester with a B.A. in Environmental Studies, and accepted an Americorps position with Maine’s Department of Environmental Protection in Portland. Since May, I have been assisting scientists with impaired urban stream restoration and monitoring and will be here for 6 months, until November. I know this opportunity will provide invaluable experience, especially in field work and active conservation. From there, I may join a year-long conservation corps program or find a full-time position in conservation or environmental restoration before returning to school.

Thank you to the Gwen M. Greene Career & Internship Center all for their support in the application process, which I began in early spring. With their help, I received interviews and multiple offers within the Students Conservation Association and Americorps. I'm so thankful they worked with me to improve my candidacy; I benefited immensely from their advice. Because of their help, I was able to have a choice between offers and decide on a position I thought was the best fit. I was very fortunate to have had so much interest in my candidacy. It's exciting beginning life in a new city!"

No comments:

Post a Comment