First, you have to login at http://rochester.joinhandshake.com (click current students, enter your netID and password) - Boom you're in. (if you're not in, shoot an email with your details to email@example.com and we'll get you set up)
NUMBER ONE - PROFILE
Update your profile right now. Get your major in there, your grad date, experience, student organizations, etc. The first time you login it's actually going to walk you right through all of this, so snag 10 minutes and get it done. You can also build your profile from a resume if you have one already created.
Do you have a preferred nickname or another name you go by? Put it into the Preferred Name field so your applications, name tags and more have the right name on them!
NUMERO DOS! - CAREER INTERESTS
Once you have your profile all set, make sure to set your CAREER INTERESTS.
- When you're on your profile screen, in the upper right go to "Account"
- In the mid-left column (under Account Information) select "Job Interests"
- Put in locations you'd be interested in working (including home, Rochester, and any place else that you'd consider relocating to)
- Check off some industries you're exploring or pursuing (these are the type of company you'd work for)
- Check off some job functions (this is what you'd do in your job or internship)
Want more? Get some HelpJuice!
Handshake has some pretty great articles on their HelpJuice site that will get you through everything from account set up to scheduling interviews! You can also always stop into the Career and Internship Center on the 4th Floor of Dewey Hall during drop-in hours, M-F 1-4pm!
Special Thanks to Alycia Abbott, Events and Recruiting Assistant, and Amber Graham, Associate Director, for their input on this post.